Later this summer we’re taking a road trip to the town of Medora, North Dakota. Ever hear of it? There is a national park there, not large, but with enough wildlife – buffalo, wild horses, prairie dogs – to satisfy nature buffs. The area is, in addition, appealing to lovers of history. The town is named after an auburn-haired beauty who once upon a time married a French nobleman.
Images: Historical Society of North Dakota
Medora von Hoffman was born on Staten Island, New York, in 1856 to a Wall Street banker and his wife. She led a privileged life, spending quite a bit of time with her family at a villa in Cannes, France. She was accomplished not only in sewing, piano playing, and painting; but also horsemanship and shooting. Her adventuresome spirit caught the eye of Antoine Amadee Mari Vincent Manca de Vallombrosa, whose title was the Marquis de Mores. They were married in 1882.
The new son-in-law tried the banking business in New York, but craved the outdoors. A relative who’d visited Dakota Territory brought back stories of the badlands (not to be confused with those further south), and soon Antoine was planning a unique ranch and meat-packing business. He thought he could butcher beef on site and ship it east on the railroad, bypassing the cost of transporting live animals. And his young wife was in favor of moving west.
The venture, and adventure, became a reality. Backed by von Hoffman finances, the Marquis built a large slaughterhouse in the shadow of the rimrock just outside the Montana border. The Northern Pacific Refrigerator Car Company took shape, as did the town, which he gave Medora’s name. On an overlooking hill, he built a large twenty-six room hunting lodge that the locals called the “Chateau.”
Medora and the couple’s baby daughter visited the settlement in October 1883. She moved to New York for the winter, but returned in the spring. By all accounts she loved life in the west. She filled the new, spacious home with furniture, rugs, curtains and dishes from St. Paul and New York City.
Tourist postcard from the 1920s showing the Chateau de Mores.
The couple had a special wagon built for hunting, which took them and their out-of-town guests to places like the new Yellowstone National Park. It was fitted with the comforts of home, including Minton fine china. A private railroad car to take them to more distant places was at their disposal, too.
Medora oversaw the building of the first Catholic church of Dakota Territory, in front of one of the buttes. By all accounts she was an excellent administrator of the home grounds and hired help, as she would soon have two more children, both boys. The townspeople thought she was more down-to-earth than her husband, who had the habit of tossing a weighted walking stick from arm to arm as he walked about town.
The Marquis’ dreams were being realized very quickly. The town, population 250, was booming. He had contracts for icing stations in cities all the way to Chicago. Furthermore, he made arrangements with boats on Lakes Superior and Michigan to carry his goods (which soon were to include butter from a creamery in Minnesota) farther east. He was also looking into shipping salmon from the Pacific Ocean in his refrigerated railroad cars.
At home in Medora, his company was buying cattle from local ranchers to butcher. Only not quite as many as he’d hoped. The first fall more sheep than cattle went through the stockyards. Some of the animals were not as fat as they should be, so a feedlot program was designed.
The spring of 1885 looked very promising for this unusual frontier family.
Next post: a famous neighbor, and a turn of events.